Tuesday, July 29, 2008

For God Alone

"For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken."

Psalms 62:5&6




Just a quick, simple meditation tonight. What are you waiting for? A new job? More money? Perhaps you are waiting for things to improve financially at your church even? Maybe you are still waiting for the right guy or girl to walk into your life and make everything right and "complete." Perhaps illness has beset you and you await that final relief/cure.

True, I desire things for my life as well, but I do not wait for them. No, for God alone we must wait, in silence and in peace. Our hope is from Him and in Him. It is He alone who is our solid, unchanging and unmoving foundation. He alone is our rescuer in times of need.

For those of you who have read or seen the Lord of the Rings, bring to your mind an image of Helm's Deep and the Battle of the Hornburg. God is that great impenetrable fortress, but greater. He is also our salvation, when all hope seems gone. Whenever I see the scene in the second of the Lord of the Rings movies where Gandalf comes riding in at the dawn of the third day (sound familiar) and descends down the hill on a white horse with thousands of soldiers behind him blinding the enemy and bringing hope to the hopeless in Helm's Deep, I cry.

Tonight I remind myself, and hopefully others, to stop waiting for things, people or events, but to instead wait in silence for the God of Hope. Hold up in the fortress that is God Himself and fight in His strength (Eph. 6:10; ESV) till the dawn of his promise breaks and the Lord descends to bring about the victory!

0 comments: