Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Codex Sinaiticus Online

Just wanted to let those of you Biblical Greek aficionados know, who didn't know already, that the Codex Sinaiticus is now available for viewing online. This is a great opportunity to look at this amazing manuscript! For those of you who aren't familiar with the manuscript and would like to know more about its importance please click here. If you would like to view the manuscript click here or on the image of the text above. Of course I prefer a Bible without the apocryphal books and an OT translated from the Masoretic text, but this text is still immensely important to studies of Biblical Greek.

3 comments:

Mike July 19, 2009 at 2:13 AM  

Hey Joseph,
I really Like your blog design. I love the old manuscript look. Is it a template or code. Thats the style Im looking for
Thanks Mike
http://staff2rock.blogspot.com/

Joseph Mancuso July 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

Mike,

Thanks! I have put a fair amount of time into it (much to my wife's shargrin. The design is a tweaked version of a blogger template. I researched and by God's grace found someone who had already worked on the code to expand the background and post area (http://bguide.blogspot.com/2008/05/scribe-with-wider-post-area.html) I have also worked on changing much of the code myself to tweak the fonts, blog description and header image myself.

Matt October 23, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

Hi Joe. I'm wondering why you prefer the translation from the Masoretic when, as I understand it, the writers of the New Testament were familiar with the LXX. Of course, the LXX and the Masoretic are very similar in content (the translator(s) did a stand-up job), and the Masoretic is in the original language, but the oldest extant copies are far older than those of the Septuagint, and were influenced by Jewish tradition long after the first century.