Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Guidelines for iPhone Use

About 2 weeks ago now I purchased and received an iPhone 4. As a long standing Verizon customer I had been waiting for this day to come and already had in mind all sorts of uses for it most of which had to do with productivity, Bible reading and other spiritual disciplines (or Joys as I call them). Despite my overwhelming desire to use the iPhone to the glory of God, I knew before I bought it that I, like everyone else, have a tendency to become easily distracted, especially by technology.

With that in mind, about a week or so before ordering my iPhone, I first prayed about it, then created a list of “10 Guidelines for iPhone Use.” I then read this list out-loud to my wife so that she would know them and hold me to them. Here is the list I came up with that I think covers everything. It is a work in progress, but it has already served me well and I can already see good habits forming for how I use this wonderful piece of technology. The guidelines, for me, are an application of 1 Corinthians 10:31 and Ephesians 5:15-16. Here they are:

IPhone Usage Guidelines:


  1. 1. Use for the glory of God in as many ways as possible including: spiritual disciplines such as prayer, scripture memory, bible reading, godly books, theological memorization (catechism), biblical languages, evangelism, etc. (1 Cor. 10:31).

  2. 2. Not to be used when on a date with Kendra unless it benefits the date/relationship

  3. 3. Games should only be played after praying first about it and only in circumstances where nothing more productive or godly can be done with the time.


  4. 4. Should not be used in the evening or morning when it is time to be with the kids and Kendra.


  5. 5. Should not be used when taking the kids out for one-on-one or during family outings unless necessary.


  6. 6. Only apps that help with godliness, edification of the saints, education, productivity and helping with daily life should be downloaded with the exception of rule 7.


  7. 7. Some apps for entertainment should be allowed but must comply with rule 3.


  8. 8. Use in church should be limited to Bible apps, note taking, prayer requests and other such things as are fitting use in God’s house. Playing games does not qualify, nor does internet usage that is not for the sake of helping others or answering a biblical question.


  9. 9. Common courtesy should be observed when using iPhone: no using apps, texting or emailing in situations where it could inconvenience, frustrate, be perceived as rude by, or threaten the safety of another person.


  10. 10. Must not be used during meals with other people present unless absolutely necessary.

0 comments: